First Impression: ASUS X555LN

in Blog

Finally decided to retire my now 5 year old laptop, the reliable¬†ASUS F8SG. Hasn’t failed me yet, stock hard disk still works after all these years though I upgraded it to SSD early this year.

After a couple of weeks of search, I settled on an ASUS X555LN, box says this model is an ASUS X555LN-XX024H with the following specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3
  • HDD: 1TB
  • ODD: Yes
  • Ports: Ethernet LAN, VGA, HDMI, SD card reader, audio socket, 3 USB ports

Here’s its CPU specs according to CPU-Z:

After getting the unit, I immediately upgraded the HDD to SSD, not going back to hard disks, that’s for sure. I used a Transcend SSD370 as replacement.

I won’t do an in-depth technical review for this laptop for the lack of time, this review from notebook check should give you an idea about its technical bearing (my unit’s CPU is better though).

The Good

Now here’s my experience with this laptop so far.

For what I usually do on computers (applications I use range from Word to Adobe Premiere), it’s spittin’ fast! The applications I run are very responsive even with the Adobe Master Suite.

The keys are well spaced, tactile feel isn’t the best but good enough for my use.

Laptop is cool (not IceCool though as ASUS is advertising), CPU temp ranges from 38 C to 45 C under average load. Ran a stress testing software (Prime95), temp peaked at 80 C and then settled at 70 C at full load. Despite that, the laptop was still responsive despite the load.

Screen is well lit and the colors look good, not a fan of the glossy screen though. Boot time was amazing, it was well under 10 seconds until the log-screen. Add another 8 seconds or so after you enter the password and it’s ready to take anything you throw at it.

The Not so Good

Unfortunately, there are a couple of things I particularly dislike about the ASUS X555LN.

The unit I got is a finger print magnet, for some reason the top cover is not the textured type, it’s glossy so I leave marks on it every time I touch it.

The edge of the bottom lid is a bit sharp and I need to move my wrist to a certain distance from the keyboard so that it’s comfortable to type.

The whole thing’s made of plastic so keyboard flexes if I put too much pressure on it.

The arrow keys are evenly spaced with the other keys so there’s no way to distinguish it by touch. I may eventually memorize the space like I did on my previous laptops but it will take a while so for now, I find it annoying to look at my keyboard every now and then.

Despite the shortcomings, I’m impressed with this laptop and hopefully this should last me the next 3 or 5 years. I even have this feeling that I’ve spent a bit much on hardware since I don’t play games anymore but I’m sticking to what Google said “FAST is the feature.’

Hope this helps ^_^

{ 53 comments… read them below or add one }

K. Lim December 16, 2014 at 3:50 am

I’m thinking of getting this one also, I am a bit confused with X550LN and X555LN, what is the difference?

Secondly, what do you do with retired laptop? Can I sell it?

Lastly, where do you upgrade to SSD?

Thanks!

Jeedo December 19, 2014 at 2:01 am

Hi,

Both are very close in specs except that X555LN supports up to 8GB RAM whereas the X550LN only supports up to 4GB. You can definitely sell your old unit at a lower price of course. I bought my SSD from a local store but you can order from Amazon, newegg and the cheapest option would be dx.com if you can wait.

Best regards,

Jeedo

Jap Javier December 20, 2014 at 2:37 am

Hey I plan to buy this one and I’m a newbie in terms of laptops. Can I ask on how did you upgraded your SSD? THANKS.

Micah January 10, 2015 at 1:05 am

Hey sir,
I’m thinking of buying this one but why is it that you dont like HDD?
Whats the diff between SSD & HDD?
Is it worth buying or ill just wait for the new ones this 2015 with windows 10?
I’m new in the tech world sorry.
Cheers! (o^_^)o

Jeedo January 19, 2015 at 6:22 am

Hi Jap, I had it worked by GlobalChips in our area the authorized ASUS repair center. Had to pay another P500 though.

Jeedo January 19, 2015 at 6:24 am

Hi Micah, to put it in layman’s term, the slowest SSD is still faster than the fastest HDD. This might help:

Not sure about your options but I need this one now for work and play =) For my case it was worth it.

Parisian February 3, 2015 at 5:08 am

Hi I’m thinking about buying x555 metal version.. for autocad or 3dmax.. is it worth buying? if not, what mid price range laptop models can you suggest hehe thanks

Jeedo February 22, 2015 at 3:34 am

Hi Parisian, if it isn’t for heavy gaming, it should be fine. Not sure about the price difference but I’d assume it would be a tad heavier since it’s the metal version. As far as performance goes, I’m very happy with my purchase so I’d say if you got the dough, go for it.

Aaron March 2, 2015 at 12:47 am

I have one the x555ln-xx024h, I bought it for about a week now. Very fast response and very good for gaming at very high settings and resolution, no lag, the GPU temperature reaches 80 degrees. I like the design and the thickness and the sound quality.

Zip March 2, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Hi, is it the with the rotating bezel at the back cover?

Jeedo March 4, 2015 at 2:09 am

Hi Zip,

Sorry nope, but there’s another ASUS laptop that can be flipped just like this:

zip March 8, 2015 at 4:06 am

No, i mean its back skin, is it the matte aluminum finish like this:

Jeedo March 9, 2015 at 3:45 am

hi zip,

no, sorry, the cover is plastic and it’s shiny. it’s actually a fingerprint magnet, which is a con but i don’t mind much since i’m after the specs rather than aesthetics.

Zyren Mark March 10, 2015 at 12:24 am

Is it good for gaming. Games like skyrim or assasins creed?

Jeedo March 10, 2015 at 2:48 am

Hi Zyren, I’d say good enough. No lags on low to medium setting, very smooth on dota 2. Just don’t expect this to match a $3k gaming rig though =)

josh March 10, 2015 at 3:15 am
jay March 14, 2015 at 3:20 pm

hi Jeeedo!! is there any backlight at the keyboard?

Lynsay March 23, 2015 at 4:11 am

Hi jeedo. Wanna ask,when youre charging it how long it takes? I have x555ln i7
I observe the battery lifespan 100% full charge is Easy to get lowbat.

kolpokz March 24, 2015 at 5:46 am

Yo! Does it come in some other colorways? I can’t appreciate much of its appearance and the previous x550ln model is way cooler than this. I don’t actually approve too on its “shiny” back

djman March 27, 2015 at 5:59 am

Hi,

so after 3,5 months what is your verdict. Are you satisfied with the laptop? Is it working well? Any cons in terms of performance?

Jeedo April 4, 2015 at 2:24 am

Hi djman, yep very happy with my purchase =) this should last me the next 3 or 5 years (if nothing breaks) my previous laptop did.

Jeedo April 4, 2015 at 2:25 am

Hi kolpokz, sorry only comes in one color. Not a fan of the shiny black either but was after the performance rather than aesthetics.

Jeedo April 4, 2015 at 2:27 am

Hi Lynsay, full charge takes about half an hour. Usual usage lasts me about 2 to 3 hours (no gaming). Considering its screen size and battery size, it’s good enough for me since this wasn’t designed as an ultra portable.

Jeedo April 4, 2015 at 2:29 am

Hi jay, sorry nope, no lights on the keyboard. Not sure if you can find one for this price range.

Jeedo April 4, 2015 at 2:30 am

Hi josh, sorry not really sure. The one you are showing looks like the surface is textured, mine isn’t it’s really shiny like the surface of the old iphones.

Lynsay April 7, 2015 at 4:16 am

Thanks jeedo

Genesis Del Rosario April 8, 2015 at 2:01 am

Hello jeedo.. would like to ask if it is ok to use if it is on going charging ? as you had said that it only takes 2-3hours of battery without any gaming..

And can AUTOCAD2013 software work on this ASUS X555LN-XX024H?

Thanks!

Jeedo April 8, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Hi Genesis, yep it’s definitely fine to use it while charging. Actually the battery isn’t removable so it’s technically by design that you can use it while being charged. The CPU is fairly cool with my daily use (45 deg C) so it shouldn’t kill the battery that soon since heat is the battery’s bane.

You can find the software and hardware requirements for AutoCAD 2013 here: http://goo.gl/vBg6N4

In short, running AutoCAD 2013 should be a piece of cake for this laptop ^_^

raf April 12, 2015 at 6:52 am

Hi jeedo!
I appreciate this review. I have a x550ln-xx024h, my brother bought it for me last two weeks. The model i got is the glossy one, and this comes with non-removable battery and no air vent cooler on the left edge like the textured model, just a small air vent on the bottom part. im just worried coz i play games like battlefield and so on. Im not a heavy gamer though coz im busy at work, will this be a problem if i play more than 12hours? Whats your opinion?
Another thing, the camera is like a vga camera.

Thanks in advance!
Raf

Jeedo April 16, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hi raf, it shouldn’t be a problem if you play on a flat surface with ample air circulation. The vent on this pc is actually at the rear facing the screen when it’s opened.

James April 20, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Would you suggest this laptop over Acer brand with the same specs?

Jeedo April 25, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Hi James, depends on the price. Buying hardware is like a lottery, there’s still that 1% chance that you may get a dud regardless of brand (and their level of quality assurance). I own both an Acer and ASUS laptop that are actually more than 5 years old. If there’s one advice I can give you, always go for an Intel processor.

Ishayat April 30, 2015 at 3:50 am

Is it possible to expand the RAM? if it is, what’s the limit? 12 or 16GB?
I intend to use the laptop for about 12 hours most of the time so let me know if using this laptop for that long is going to be a problem.
Thanks in advance!

Jeedo May 1, 2015 at 2:55 am

Hi Ishayat, sorry the memory is fixed at 8GB. That’s the limit as well. Is that 12 hours of heavy use (100% cpu)? I barely turn off my laptop and it’s on more than 12 hours per day but never had any problems with it. CPU temp is about 43C for my daily usage. Hope this helps.

Janjan May 10, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Need your opinion sir, the Asus x555lb-xx198h has a higher processor and 4gb graphics card. Is it not a better choice than x555ln? I think the difference in price is worth it. Thnx

Rein May 12, 2015 at 8:32 am

Hi, I was wondering how your unit is working out for you. The reason I ask is because I purchased this laptop (same specs, same model number — great review btw) but within less than 2 months it just died and stopped working. I don’t hear any sounds when I press the power button whether it’s plugged in or not and trouleshooting steps didn’t help me either.

I brought it to a service center and was told it can take 2-3 weeks for the replacement parts to arrive. I was later contacted back only to be told that the entire unit has to be replaced (another 2-3 weeks of waiting) and now I’m 2 months without any usable device to work on. So far I’m not happy with my experience and so I wonder if this is a common issue with this particular model.

Rein May 12, 2015 at 9:03 am

I just want to add that mine makes a “clicking” sound when you press the area between the touchpad and the “features” sticker/print on the right (usually when you hold it with your right hand with the thumb pressing against the right side of the board).

If yours doesn’t then it means I really got a defective unit and based on the company’s customer/technical support reviews, I’m in for a tough time getting a working unit.

Jeedo May 15, 2015 at 6:27 am

Hi Janjan, depends on your budget =) if you can afford it then I suggest you go for it.

Jeedo May 15, 2015 at 6:30 am

Hi Rein, sorry to hear about your unit, mine’s working well. There’s three of us actually who have this unit at the office and very happy with the unit so far. I guess you really hit the jackpot, just like all things, some will have defects. That’s why I make it a habit to burn-in a unit while it can still be replaced immediately. I hope you get your replacement soon.

carlo June 1, 2015 at 2:05 am

hi sir.
hmm. im a gamer and using this laptop. it last 1 to 2 hours on a game max the resolution and graphics. and my question is is it ok to play ahm 8 hours straight plugged? and.. another is the sketchup wont run on the rendering card. the geforce 840. and im not sure why is this happening.. any hints?

carlo June 1, 2015 at 2:08 am

oww..
i update the driver and its work perfectly fine now :) the driver pre instaled in the computer was on 2008
sorry for bad english asian here

Jeedo June 5, 2015 at 3:17 am

Hi Carlo, I’m assuming you did a burn in test on your laptop. Yep, it should be fine. If sketchup doesn’t run, try upgrading your video driver.

Angelo June 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Hey Jeedo! Great review here. Well said! By the way, I’ve been canvassing the entire Davao City for an excellent laptop, now I am torn between ACER E5-471-32HE and this Asus. Any advice?

Jeedo June 26, 2015 at 12:07 am

Hi Angelo,

ASUS or Acer, both brands are reliable, I have a 6 year old Acer laptop and a 7 year old ASUS laptop still running strong (maintenance is key). I’m biased towards ASUS since I prefer their design (usually easier to clean) versus Acer laptops. Just make sure you are buying a pc with an Intel CPU.

2EZ June 29, 2015 at 4:35 am

dota 2 at high reso?

AMC June 30, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I bought mine last December and so far I’m pleased with the performance after 6 months. Also there is a free upgrade to Windows 10 soon.

Jeedo July 5, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Hi 2EZ, yep works fine with DOTA 2 at high resolution.

Lex July 10, 2015 at 1:56 am

Hello Jeedo, can you please differentiate Asus x555la db71 and Asus x555ln xx024h. I’m planning to buy one by next week and will use it for video editing and 3d animation. Thanks in advance for replying bro!

Jeedo July 17, 2015 at 3:50 am

Hi Lex, the Asus x555la db71 has a lower end video card, Intel HD Graphics 4400. This makes the laptop cooler but won’t do you much good if you play games. If you’ll be doing 3d animation I suggest you go with Asus x555ln xx024h.

yoDa July 21, 2015 at 6:27 am

great review jeedo
i had this laptop since last year last week of october
great with games (tho i keep my setting in medium so it wont burn my laptop XD)
anyways
why did you change to ssd from hhd right? whats the difference?how much did it cost? and is it possible to upgrade your ram memory? please enlighten me thanks!